What are essential oils?
Essential oils are the “life blood” of a plant. The very essence of it. An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils, ethereal oils, aetherolea, or simply as the “oil of” the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is “essential” in the sense that it contains the “essence of” the plant’s fragrance—the characteristic fragrance of the plant from which it is derived
Primarily extracted through careful steam distillation but also through cold pressing, the purest essential oils are far more powerful than the botanicals from which they were extracted. Any time you hold a bottle of our powerful essential oils, you are holding nature’s pure essence.
How can they be used?
Essential oils can be used in 3 ways: Topically, applied directly to the area where treatment is needed; Aromatically: direct inhalation from the bottle, or dispersed through the air with an atomizing diffuser; and Internally: ingestion of oils in foods, capsules, or with liquids. Always follow the label on a bottle of essential oil if you are in doubt of which method to use it.
The best way to get started is to get your hands on a Premium Starter Kit. It’s exactly what it says – a kit for someone getting started with oils and it includes a diffuser, 11 bottles of oils, and so much much more!
Diffuser: 4 choices! Dew Drop, Bamboo, Rainstone or Aria! You choose during checkout which diffuser you would like.
11 5ml bottles of the BEST essential oils. This linkeup is insane: DiGize, RC, Copaiba, Lemon, Lavender, Panaway, Peppermint, Thieves, Purification, Frankincense and Stress Away. If any of these oils go out of stock for whatever reason, you will receive one of these flex oils: Aroma Ease, Citrus Fresh, Orange, Lemongrass, or Tea Tree.
A rollerball attachment which turns one of these oils into a roll-on! (I recommend putting it on the Stress Away)
2 NingXia Red Packets
10 Sample Drams, Product Business Cards and 10 sample oil packets.
Why This Kit?
The Premium Starter kit is the best way to get started. When you purchase your kit you receive everything listed above, plus you are automatically enrolled as a wholesale member! How cool is that!? Everything from there on out you will receive 24% off of retail pricing. Who doesn’t love wholesale pricing? I know I do. By purchasing your kit it also allows you to be a Young Living distributor like me, but you are not required to ever buy or sell another thing, EVER (but, you will want to expand your oily collection once you find all the amazing uses for them like I did).
You can choose between 4 diffusers, the Dew Drop, Bamboo, Rainstone (newly available!) or the Aria. I have all 4 of these diffusers and they are all wonderful; if you need help choosing the right one for you, let’s chat!
Ready to take your first steps? Click here to order your Young Living Premium Starter Kit
And, the bread & butter.. The Essential Oils – you will receive the following:
1. Supports healthy immune function.*
2. May contribute to overall wellness when taken as a dietary supplement.*
3. Contains Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil, which may help maintain a healthy respiratory system when taken as a dietary supplement.* (Thieves, Eucalyptus Radiata)
4. Includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene. (Lemon, Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary)
5. Includes the naturally occurring constituent eugenol. (Clove, Cinnamon)
6. Includes the naturally occurring constituent eucalyptol. (Eucalyptus Radiata, Rosemary)
7. Includes Clove, which was used traditionally as a spice for flavoring food.
8. Add to food or beverages to enhance the flavor. Add a drop to hot drinks to add a spicy zing. (Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Rosemary)
9. Add 1 drop Thieves to 2 drops Orange essential oil as a refreshing flavor to complement your favorite beverage.
10. Add 1 drop to a cup of warm water as part of a wellness regimen.
1. Supports gastrointestinal system comfort.*
2. Promotes healthy bowel function.*
3. Enhances healthy gut function.*
4. Maintains efficiency of the digestive tract.*
5. Supports normal digestion.*
6. May support performance during exercise.*
7. Is a key ingredient in DiGize™.
1. Diffuse for a comforting and calming scent.
2. Unwind by adding a few drops to a nighttime bath.
3. Diffuse for a fresh, clean scent and to eliminate odors.
4. May complement some of your favorite shampoos, lotions, or skin care products.
5. Is a key ingredient in many blends, including Stress Away™, Tranquil™, RutaVaLa™, Forgiveness™, and Harmony™.
1. Includes the naturally occurring constituent limonene.
2. Enhances the flavor of foods and water.
3. Is a key ingredient in Thieves®, NingXia Red®, and Inner Defense™.
1. Promotes Wellness
2. May be an important part of a daily health regimen.
3. Mix with honey and warm water to make a tea.
4. Includes the naturally occuring constituents beta-carophyllene and alpha-humulene.
Copaiba essential oil has a pleasant, complex taste, and when taken internally, it can promote wellness. Taken as a dietary supplement or combined with honey, dilute well with warm water, and gargle.
1. Rub 3 drops on feet before bedtime.
2. Use in place of Aroma Siez™ in the Raindrop Technique®.
3. Add to V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex to create a spa-like, soothing atmosphere with massage.
4. Rub on feet or chest before exercising to uplift and inspire.
5. Diffuse to create a comforting aroma.
6. Includes the naturally occurring compounds linalol acetate, linalol, camphene, and eucalyptol.
· Add to a gel capsule.
· Add 2 drops DiGize™ and 1 drop Peppermint to water for a stimulating beverage.
· The use of fennel dates back to the ancient Egyptians.
· Use with every meal along with Essentialzymes-4™ to support a wellness regimen.
· Use as a dietary supplement in water when traveling abroad.
· Add 2–3 drops to honey for a tasty snack.
· Includes the naturally occurring constituents menthol, citrol, and zingiberene.
· Upholds Young Living’s Seed to Seal® process.
· DiGize is one of Young Living’s unique and proprietary blends.
This blend is ideal to apply topically after exercise, and supports the appearance of healthy skin coloration. The essential oils in PanAway include naturally occurring constituents methyl salicylate, gamma-curcumene, menthol, and eugenol.
It is an ideal choice for supporting and soothing muscles after exercise.
- Rub PanAway essential oil blend across your lower back if you feel discomfort from sitting in front of a computer.
- Rub PanAway essential oil blend on muscles to help alleviate stressed muscles or other physical discomforts.
- Rub PanAway essential oil blend on your temples to ease minor head tension.
· Diffuse during meditation for grounding and purpose.
· Use for massage after activity.
· May help smooth the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
· Includes the naturally occurring constituent alpha-pinene
· Key ingredient in many products, including Boswellia Wrinkle Cream™, Brain Power™, Awaken™, Highest Potential™, and Forgiveness™.
(For all those hours before 5 o’clock ; )
Help reduce nervous tension and induce relaxation.
Use to add a fun and fresh flavor to water.
Invigorating and refreshing.
Helps to reduce stressors so that normal sleep patterns can be maintained.
I use Stress Away no joke all. day. long.
1. Add to V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex to complement a soothing and relaxing foot massage.
2. Diffuse to freshen air and eliminate odors.
3. Put a few drops on cotton balls and place on vents in house, car, and closets to freshen the air.
4. Add to Young Living Bath & Shower Gel Base or 4 drops to a cup of Epsom salt for a soothing foot soak.
5. Add to distilled water in a small spray bottle and use when traveling to freshen the air.
6. Add to Animal Scents™ product to moisturize skin and improve appearance for healthy looking skin.
7. Apply topically to enjoy the outdoors annoyance free.
8. Includes the naturally occurring compounds cineol, neral, and geranial.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does signing up make me a “distributor”?
Nope! You are not required to sell anything at all to anyone. When you become a wholesale member, you get a special link that you can share with friends and get credit from their purchases, but there are no minimum sales amounts at all. In fact, 90% of the wholesale members in Young Living don’t do the business side at all. They are buying from Young Living because of the quality alone.
Am I required to make a minimum purchase each month?
There are absolutely NO minimum monthly purchase requirements. To remain a wholesale member, you have to make $50 worth of purchases per year to keep your membership. But if there’s a year that you don’t make a $50 purchase, you can reinstate your wholesale membership discount by just placing a $50 order. It’s similar to how a BJ’s Whole Sale or Sam’s Club membership works, only you don’t pay for your membership, you just order $50 in oils once per year.. and trust me, it’s hard to narrow down to just $50 worth.
If you do find yourself making regular purchases each month, then Young Living has a rewards program (called Essential Rewards) where you can make a nice percentage back in product credit each month on all of your purchases. So that’s a neat program to join if you find that you *want* to purchase regularly (but it’s not a requirement for being a wholesale member).
Why should I buy from Young Living instead of other essential oils companies?
It does seem like a new essential oils company pops up every day, doesn’t it?
I can’t speak to the quality of other companies, but I can say that Young Living was the only company in my research of essential oil companies that could answer all of my questions about purity in a way that was satisfactory to me.
Firstly, Young Living is the ONLY company that can guarantee NON GMO seeds – They own their own farms, and the soil is 50+ years organic. Other companies partner with co-ops and work with farm owners, but they cannot have full control over using NON GMO seeds – and this makes a huge difference in the purity of an oil.
Young Living was the only company that has their own farms (in the regions where the plants should be grown), could absolutely guarantee that no pesticides or herbicides were used in the growing of any of their oils (they use essential oils for pest control and they do all of the weeding by hand), has their own testing equipment (they do both in-house and 3rd party testing, and use many different testing methods not just GC/MS which only tests for certain chemicals, not whether those chemicals are synthetic or not), and only uses the first distillation of oils instead of adding chemicals to get more out of the plant.
Young Living also was the only company that was directly in charge of essential oil farming operations. Every other company I researched goes through some kind of an “oil broker” to buy their oils. They have to trust that the oil broker is telling the truth, who has to trust that the essential oil distilleries are telling the truth, who have to trust that the farmers are telling the truth about what they say they are doing.
With Young Living, you just have to trust one company instead of several.
I feel like it’s a trust step either way (anyone could be lying) but I felt the most comfortable trusting Young Living since they are a full-disclosure company. ANYONE can visit the farms, participate in the harvesting and distillation, view the Young Living labs, and see the entire process. That’s not an option with any other company.
Lastly, Young Living has been in the essential oil business for over 20 years. They are not in this industry because it’s now become popular again, this is their passion and they have had decades of time to perfect their craft.
How will I know which oils to use for what?
Many of the products are self explanatory and besides using Google to get more information on a specific oil, you also get ME!
I am your oil person – you can come to me with any questions, and from the time you get your kit I will help you learn about your oils and how to use them safely. If I don’t have the answer, I have a team of highly qualified medical professionals who have been using Young Living products since its creation to rely on for a wealth of wisdom. In fact, you too, will have access to them and how they use the products in both their person and professional lives.
Does Young Living only sell essential oils?
The answer to this one was surprising to me when I first got my starter kit! Young Living actually has an entire line of personal care products, supplements, meal replacements, energy drinks, and more! Almost every product incorporates essential oils (for example, frankincense is absolutely wonderful in facial products), but there’s a wide variety of products available.
Are their products Kosher?
| Kosher Certification
Many of Young Living Essential Oils most popular products are kosher-certified! Being kosher-certified means that a product is fit to use in any application in a manner that conforms to the kosher laws rooted in Biblical and Rabbinic traditions. These products and the facilities that produce them have been inspected and found to meet strict kosher requirements.
Essential Oil Safety
1. I’m new to essential oils. How are they used? – Each bottle of Young Living essential oil is labeled with directions for how that oil can be used, and these directions vary based on location. Please consult with the product label for appropriate use directions.
2. I see the term “carrier oil” used in several places. What is a carrier oil, what does it do, and why should I use it? – A carrier oil is a vegetable oil such as coconut oil or grapeseed oil that can be used to dilute EO. YL V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex is an excellent carrier oil for all applications. Carrier oils ensure that EOs applied topically are comfortable. Dilution with a carrier oil does not dilute the effect of the EO, and prevents waste due to excessive application. Vegetable shortening, butter, margarine or petroleum derivatives (petrolatum jelly) should never be used as carrier oils. Some consumers choose to avoid olive oil as a carrier oil because of its strong aroma and thick viscosity.
3. What is a hot oil? – “Hot oils” are oils that, when applied to the skin, can cause a hot or burning sensation. YL recommends using a patch test procedure prior to first use. To perform a patch test, apply 1-2 drops of EO to a patch of skin such as the forearm. Observe that area of skin over the course of 1-2 hours for any noticeable reaction; usually reactions occur within 5-10 minutes. If you experience a hot or burning sensation or if you develop a rash, add V-6 carrier oil to the affected area as often as needed. Examples of “hot” oils include cinnamon, clove, lemongrass, peppermint, oregano, thyme, Exodus II, and Thieves.
4. What if I experience skin discomfort or irritation? – If discomfort or irritation occurs, stop using the EO, and apply V-6 or other carrier oil to the affected area. Never use water in an attempt to flush the oil off the skin, as this may increase discomfort. If a rash occurs this may be a sign of detoxification; drink adequate water to encourage the release and removal of body toxins. Toxins present in petrochemical based soaps and skin care products, detergents and perfumes may trigger some of the detoxification reactions. Consider discontinuation of these agents if a reaction occurs. Before using the EO again, perform a patch test (see above) and dilute with carrier oil as needed. Water drives oil into the skin and the eyes. If EO gets in your eye, flush with V-6 carrier oil to alleviate any discomfort. Discomfort should be alleviated within minutes. If eye discomfort does not subside within 5 minutes, please seek medical attention. Be aware that some documents suggest diluting the oil with water. YL suggests that you dilute with carrier oil to ensure that discomfort is alleviated as quickly as possible.
5. Can essential oils be applied to sensitive areas? – YL recommends that you avoid contact with EOs and sensitive areas such as eyes, ears, genitals and mucous membranes. If you choose to use the oil in any sensitive area, dilute 1 drop of the essential oil to 5-10 drops of V-6 carrier oil.
6. How often can essential oils be applied? How much do I use? – Proper usage is indicated on each EO label. Please follow label instructions. The idea of “if a little is good, a lot is better” is not always correct. Essential oils are very potent and powerful– start low and go slow. In most cases 1-2 drops are adequate and using more may waste product. Depending on the EO you can gradually build up to 3-4 uses per day if desired. Excessive use of essential oils may increase the risk for adverse reactions.
7. Can essential oils be used during pregnancy or while nursing? – As with any medical condition it is strongly recommended that, prior to use of essential oils, you seek the advice and recommendation of a competent, trained health care advisor who is experienced in EO usage. It is generally recommended to avoid overuse and excessive use of Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Sage (Salvia officinalis), Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare), Hyssop (Hyssopus officinalis), Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), and Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) as well as the blends and supplements that contain these oils.
8. Can essential oils be used on children? – Many EOs are appropriate for use with children, and they should be diluted prior to use. Some YL products are pre-diluted with carrier oil as indicated on product label and are intended for direct application on children. Children generally respond well to EO, and use of a carrier oil is recommended. One-2 drops of EO such as SleepyIze, RutaVala, Gentle Baby and Peace & Calming may be diluted in carrier oil and applied to the bottom of the feet.
9. How does exposure to sun affect essential oil use? – Some EOs, especially citrus oils, contain natural molecules that react with sunlight (UV light) and cause a sensitivity reaction. All YL EOs and oil blends that contain these compounds are labeled with a warning to avoid sun/UV light for 12 to 48 hours after applying. Caution should always be used when starting to use a new oil: use patch testing (see above), dilute and apply the oil to skin that is protected from sun/UV exposure to reduce the risk of sensitivity. YL beauty and cosmetic products are formulated to remove sun-sensitizing agents to reduce the risk of sun sensitivity.
10. What about the use of essential oils if I have a medical condition? Can essential oils interact with prescription medications?
If you have a disease or medical condition, or if you are using a prescription medication, it is recommended that you consult with a health advisor who has experience with EOs prior to using an EO. Seek the advice of the prescribing physician and a pharmacist about potential interactions between the medication(s) and the essential oil(s).
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please confirm any information obtained from or through this web site with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your physician. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read on this website.